Ottawa ESL Schools -
Questions and Answers

Your ESL School Questions Answered

Who can join your ESL and Computer classes?
Permanent Residents of Canada, Convention Refugees, Refugee Claimants and naturalized Canadian Citizens not born in Canada may apply to take our ESL classes. Applicants must also be 18 years of age or over, reside in Ontario and provide proof of residency.
What courses do you offer?
We offer English as a Second Language (ESL) and Computer classes. For a list of courses being currently offered please see
How do I register for a class?
On or after September 2, 2014 go to St. Patrick's Adult School on the following days at the times shown below:
  • Monday to Wednesday:
    from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm
    and 1:45 pm to 3:00 pm
  • Thursday: From 9:00 am to 11:30 am
You will be registered, assessed and placed in the level appropriate for you or referred to YLARC for assessment. Please bring your immigration documents, proof of age and proof of Ontario residency. If you live in Quebec you will be charged fees at non-resident rates. Fees are shown further down on this page.
I don't live in Ontario, can I still take a class?
Yes you may take classes at one of our schools. You will be charged a fee.
I do not live in Canada. Can I register online?
No. We do not have online registration. Registration is done in person only. Contact us when you get to Ottawa to register in person.
Do I need a visa to come to Canada?
Visa requirements vary from country to country. For information about your visa requirements please visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.
I am a visitor to Canada. Can I take a class?
Visitors are welcome to take English as a Second Language or Computer classes. Some special conditions apply. Your best course of action is to contact St. Patrick's Adult School by once you are in Ottawa. The Assessment Office will be able to address your particular situation.
What are the fees for international students and out-of-province learners?
For Summer School fees click here.

Fees for September 2014 to June 2015

Materials Fees

All students pay a materials fee as follows.

  • Part Time: $25 per school year
    9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m OR 12:30 p.m to 3:30 p.m.
  • Full Time: $30 per school year
    9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m AND 12:30 p.m to 3:30 p.m.

Fees for Visitors, Holders of Work Permits, International Students and Non-Residents

Visitors, Diplomats, International Students on Student Permit, Work Permit, Out-of-Province Learners
Non-refundable fee of $50 for registration and assessment, plus materials fee and tuition as described below.
Tuition Fees

  • $3000 per year for 15 hours a week ($300 monthly installment) or
  • $6000 per year for 30 hours per week ($600 monthly installment).

Fees are due at the beginning of each school term and are non-refundable.

The information above is provided only as a guide and is subject to change. Please contact St. Patrick's Adult School directly for information relevant to your particular situation.

Do you have Summer classes?
Yes we do. Please click here for information on Summer ESL Classes.
Do you have Evening or Weekend classes?
There are no classes on weekends. Evening classes are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Please contact St. Patrick's Adult School between 6 pm and 8:30 pm on these days for further information.
Do you make arrangements for homestay?
No. You must make your own arrangements.
Do you have daycare for my children?
Childminding is available at St. Patrick's for qualifying learners. Please check with the school for details.
Where do I register for a class?
Registration is done in person only at:
St. Patrick's Adult School613-594-5773

Do you have more questions? Please ask your question by contacting us. If you are in Ottawa please call St. Patrick's Adult School at 613-594-5773. If you live outside Ottawa use the form on the Contact Us page.

Back to top of ESL School Questions page.

Ottawa ESL Schools Main Page

March 16-20

Registration for Winter 2015
classes is now open.
Monday to Wednesday
from 9 am to 1 pm
and 1:45 pm to 3:00 pm
9 am to 11 am
at St. Patrick's Adult School.
For more details on how to register please see
our FAQ page.

 Free Newsletter

Subscribe to our free newsletter and stay informed about Ottawa ESL activities.

Enter your e-mail address

Enter your Name

Then Click on the Submit Button

Your e-mail address is totally secure and will be used only to send you ESL News and other School related information.

Follow eslottawa on Twitter

Computer Courses at St. Patrick's Adult School during the regular school year (September to June) include Web Page Design (HTML, Dreamweaver, Photoshop), MS Word, MS Excel, PowerPoint, MS Publisher, Keyboarding and Introduction to Computers.

English as a Second Language (ESL) classes at St. Patrick's Adult School during the regular school year (September to June) include all levels of ESL and TOEFL. LINC classes are also available. Childcare is available based on eligibility and availability of spaces.

For school information click here.

Our classes are taught by enthusiastic, experienced and professionally qualified teachers. They will help you achieve your goal of learning English as a Second Language while you have fun getting there.

Thousands of students from some 158 countries have benefited from and learned English at the best ESL classes in Ottawa.